A total of 29 medical devices industry deals worth $521.49m were announced for the region in March 2021, against the 12-month average of 34 deals.
Of all the deal types, M&A saw most activity in March 2021 with 15 transactions, representing a 51.7% share for the region.
In second place was venture financing with 13 deals, followed by private equity deals with one transactions, respectively capturing a 44.8% and 3.5% share of the overall deal activity for the month.
In terms of value of deals, M&A was the leading category in Europe’s medical devices industry with $369.59m, while venture financing and private equity deals totalled $101.9m and $50m, respectively.
Europe medical devices industry deals in March 2021: Top deals
The top five medical devices deals accounted for 85.3% of the overall value during March 2021.
The combined value of the top five medical devices deals stood at $444.58m, against the overall value of $521.49m recorded for the month.
The top five medical devices industry deals of March 2021 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) Hologic’s $159m acquisition of Diagenode
2) The $110m acquisition deal with Softhale by Sino Biopharmaceutical
3) DCC Healthcare’s $95.58m acquisition of Worner Medizinprodukte
4) The $50m private equity deal with MedAlliance by Citic Capital Partners
5) Foresite Capital Management, F-Prime, Lansdowne Partners and Oxford Sciences Innovation’s venture financing of Genomics for $30m.